Business supports the need for guests of the medical center to have access to IT resources, including the Internet.
Reason for Policy
This policy ensures guest networks are provisioned only by the Information Technologies and Services (ITS). This policy also establishes rules for proper management, security, and use of WCMC guest networks.
Who Should Read this Policy
All ITS and Business Owners.
Guest Wireless Network shall mean any wireless network created expressly for use by guests of Business.
The following principles must be followed to ensure Business guest networks are made as secure as possible and that the ability of guest users to access critical Business IT resources is minimized.
- Guest wireless networks may be provisioned only by the Information Technologies and Services.
- In provisioning guest wireless networks, ITS must ensure users of these networks are unable to create network connections from guest wireless networks to Business IT resources on non‐guest wireless Business networks. This principle may be overridden for specific resources (e.g. access to Business web sites) but reasons for each override must be documented and approved by the ITS security officer or his or her designee.
- Guest wireless networks must be monitored and reviewed for unauthorized or malicious activity. Guest wireless network activity logs must be reviewed on a predetermined, regular basis; at least quarterly.
- Due to the nature of networks that include systems not managed by the Business, ITS is not expected to ensure security for devices and/or data on guest wireless networks. ITS is responsible, however, for informing users of guest wireless networks that they should not expect a completely secure environment, and that use of the network is at their own risk.
- Business recognizes that users of guest networks expect a reasonable level of performance (e.g. responsive access to Internet resources). Managers and administrators of guest networks are required to provide a level of service consistent with these expectations, but are not required to guarantee a particular quality of service.
- Business guest networks must be as secure and restrictive as possible, while also providing necessary services. Appropriate restrictions include, but are not limited to: minimizing access to specific networks, ports, applications, systems, or other IT resources.
- Users of Business guest networks may be disconnected for any reason. Disconnections may be ordered by any one or more of the following:
- ITS Officer
- Business Owners
- Before choosing to use Business guest networks, users must be informed, in writing (electronic or otherwise) of at least the following conditions:
- Access to the network is intended only for guests of the business.
- Current network monitoring practices.
- Potential reasons users might be disconnected from the network.
- Expectations of security and privacy.
Informational text regarding the acceptable use of the Business Guest Wireless Network must be posted and accepted by all Guest Wireless users at the start of network usage. The text shall read (subjected to modifications to suit the Business) as follows:
Thank you for choosing the Business Guest Wireless Internet Access. This service was created to give eligible users (see below) an easy way to browse the web. Before you connect, there are a few things you should know:
Clicking on the “I Agree” link below indicates you agree with the following Business Guest Internet Access Terms and Conditions
- This service provides limited wireless internet access for guests of Business.
- This wireless network is monitored. Computers suspected of distributing malicious software (spyware, malware, viruses, etc), exhibiting malicious behavior, or attempting to transmit data or other material that is considered offense, illegal, in violation of copyright, or in violation of local, state, or federal law will be disconnected.
- Please do not attempt to use this service for high‐volume data transfers (e.g. hosting a web server, IRC server, or other server). Users found to be engaging in consistent, high‐volume data transfers will be disconnected.
- This wireless internet access is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. This service is not guaranteed to be uninterrupted, error‐free, or free of viruses or other malware. Browse at your own risk.
- Business policy governs network use, including monitoring for the maintenance of operations, and obliges users to adhere to all applicable policies and laws, including fraud and abuse of network systems and copyright infringement.
- If you agree with these terms and conditions, please click the box below. Thank you again for using the Business Guest Wireless Internet Access.