Share a file or folder
Here's how you share files or folders in SharePoint:
- 1. Select the file or folder you want to share, and then select Share.
- 2. (Optional) Click the dropdown list to change the type of link. The Details pane opens, where you can change who can access the link and whether people can edit the item you’re sharing.
Options for Who would you like this link to work for (options vary based on admin settings):
- Anyone gives access to anyone who receives this link, whether they receive it directly from you or forwarded from someone else. This may include people outside of your organization.
Note: This option is not available in SharePoint Server 2019.
- People in <Your Organization> gives anyone in your organization who has the link access to the file, whether they receive it directly from you or forwarded from someone else.
- People with existing access can be used by people who already have access to the document or folder. Use this if you just want to send a link to somebody who already has access.
- Specific people gives access only to the people you specify, although other people may already have access. If people forward the sharing invitation, only people who already have access to the item will be able to use the link.
- 3. Note: If a sharing option has been greyed out, your organization's admins may have restricted them. For example, they may choose to disable the Anyone option to prevent usable links being forwarded to others.
By default, Allow editing is turned on. If you want people to only view your files, uncheck the check box.
When you're done, click Apply.
- 4. Enter the names of the people you want to share with and a message, if you want.
- 5. When you’re ready to send the link, click Send.
Note: When sharing a file, if you select the Outlook option, this only allows you to include a link to the file in the email message. If you want to attach the actual file, you must download a local copy from SharePoint, then attach the file to the email.