Enable an archive mailbox
- Go to https://protection.office.com.
- Sign in to Office 365 using your work or school account.
- In the left pane of the Security & Compliance Center, click Information governance > Archive. The Archive page is displayed. The Archive mailbox column indicates whether an archive mailbox is enabled or disabled for each user.
- In the list of mailboxes, select the user that you want to enable the archive mailbox for.
Click Enable in the details pane of the selected user to enable the archive mailbox
5. In the details pane for the selected user, click Enable.
A warning is displayed saying that if you enable the archive mailbox, items in the user's mailbox that are older than the archiving policy assigned to the mailbox will be moved to the new archive mailbox. The default archive policy that is part of the retention policy assigned to Exchange Online mailboxes moves items to the archive mailbox two years after the date the item was delivered to the mailbox or created by the user. For more information, see the More info section in this article.
6. Click Yes to enable the archive mailbox.
It might take a few moments to create the archive mailbox. When it's created, Archive mailbox: enabled is displayed in the details pane for the selected user. You might have to click Refresh Refresh icon to update the information in the details pane.